Ozone Therapy - An Alternative for Cancer Patients
Cancer is a scary diagnosis.
It seems like there are no direct answers. There is a risk of ineffective and harmful treatments.
A lot is at stake...
You’ve gone from doctor to doctor, trying to figure things out… the bills pile up.
No wonder you may feel overwhelmed and unsure of how to proceed.
It can leave you feeling physically and emotionally exhausted, a defeating feeling.
And you’re not the only one! Since Richard Nixon declared the war on cancer in 1971, we have only seen a 2% increase in longevity of cancer patients, despite billions spent on research, experiments, and trials.
We are clearly losing this war.
There are good doctors working to fight cancer. But the ceiling of individual success is capped by the system. With our flawed medical system, there is only so much one individual can achieve. This leaves both the patient and the doctors frustrated with the lack of progress.
For this reason, many people start to look into alternative therapies, hoping that there is some “cure”.
Ozone therapy is certainly not a cancer cure. It is, however, a helpful treatment to improve the overall health of the patient and is used in many of the top alternative cancer centers around the world.
Ozone therapy provides a non-invasive, safe adjunctive to most cancer treatments and ties directly into a holistic treatment methodology by offering immune balancing, increased energy, reduction of pain, and improved quality of life.
Where does ozone fit into the holistic treatment of cancer?
Any practitioner worth his salt will tell you that battling cancer is a whole body, mind, and spirit approach. You are probably familiar with a holistic approach to cancer. Nonetheless, it’s important to define a holistic approach to cancer and appropriately place ozone therapy.
We will use the acronym L.I.N.D.A. to explain the holistic approach of cancer. Most cancer doctors will adopt a similar approach, although not defined exactly the same.
L – Lifestyle
I – Immune system
N – Nutrition
D – Detox
A – Attack the cancer
L is for Lifestyle
Your lifestyle affects your health. Everyone knows this but it can be difficult to identify and overcome poor habits. Smoking, drinking, drugs, diet, attitude, stress, lack of exercise, lack of sleep, emotional wellbeing, environmental toxins, and many more factors will affect your overall health.
This also encompasses spiritual and emotional wellbeing.
I is for Immune System
A poor immune system is often associated with cancer, especially among those who undergo chemo and radiation.
Those with a poorly functioning immune system are going to be more susceptible to infections and further malignancy. Many cancer programs have a focus on immune health because it will help to treat the cancer.
N is for Nutrition (including diet and supplementation)
There are a lot of opinions on nutrition for cancer. You can find a lot of great resources and doctors on this subject. Here are a couple common themes:
- Sugar is considered harmful, inflammatory, and may promote cancer
- Avoid processed foods and eat a wide variety of natural, nutrient dense foods
- Allergies and inflammatory reactions to food are more common than most people realize and may go unnoticed until tested
D is for Detox
Most cancer programs will have a way to facilitate bodily detox. This often includes sweating, exercise, deep breathing, hydration, enemas, promoting bowel health, and high quality sleep.
A is for Attack the Cancer
This is where people tend to focus a lot of effort, treatments to directly attack the cancer. Chemotherapy and radiation may be an example.
Back to the question, how does ozone therapy fit into a holistic view?
Ozone therapy addresses three aspects of a LINDA approach. It helps balance the immune system, improve detoxification, and helps lifestyle by improving quality of life.
It’s important to understand that ozone therapy is not an attack on cancer. (1) It’s a supplemental treatment to improve the overall health of the patient.
When you take the drug, it usually will turn a system off or on. This is akin to forcing the body into a certain reaction.
Ozone is different from the drug approach. Rather than forcing the body to take a specific action, it helps the body to rebalance and perform as it should. This is commonly called self-regulation or homeostasis.
Imagine you set an alarm clock in the evening when you go to bed. In the morning, when the alarm clock starts to beep, you will wake up. Similar to an alarm clock waking you up in the morning, ozone therapy stimulates biological systems to get up and get moving on their own. But it’s not forcing you to do so.
How does ozone therapy help cancer?
- Helps prevent and eliminate infections by balancing the immune system. Ozone takes a holistic approach and allows the body to balance its own immune system, a form of auto correction. It merely stimulates the immune system to take the appropriate reaction, either enhancing or diminishing its response. (2, 3, 4, 5)
- Blood circulation increase and oxygen delivery uptake. Ozone therapy is claimed to improve rheology of the blood (blood flow), an important aspect of bringing nutritional elements to our cells and eliminating byproducts. (6, 7, 8) Proper blood flow sets the foundation for the body to repair itself. (9) It is also postulated that this may help correct hypoxic and acidic tissue, an environment that cancer thrives in. Furthermore, it’s not necessary to do ozone blood treatments. Improving blood flow can be done with simple at home measures, such as rectal insufflation. (10)
- An uptick of metabolism – more energy. According to leading scientists, such as Dr. Bocci and Shallenberger, ozone therapy is able to enhance metabolic efficiency, and more specifically oxygen efficiency. The increase in energy is generally helpful for improving overall quality of life. (11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
- Potential improvement of conventional treatments like chemotherapy and radiation. By improving blood flow, metabolism, and oxygen delivery, ozone therapy may enhance the effectiveness of conventional treatments, while reducing some of the negative side effects. (18, 19)
- May reduce pain from cancer and cancer treatments (20, 21)
- Quality of life is improved. By increasing sense of wellbeing, reduction of pain, and increase of energy, patients generally feel an increase in overall quality of life. (22, 23)
Contraindications and safety
While ozone is harmful to the lungs, scientists have discovered ozone therapy can be safely administered to other parts of the body, such as blood or the colon. (24)
Breathing ozone is not safe because it will irritate the lungs. There is no antioxidant system in the lungs which make them vulnerable to oxidants like ozone. (25)
Ozone can be safely applied in other parts of the body because they have an antioxidant system. This system, found in most parts of the body, defends against the potential for ozone to cause harm.
According to data by the International Scientific Committee of Ozone Therapy, only 6 out of 100,000 ozone therapy sessions have a negative side effect, a higher safety record than aspirin. They attribute most of the negative side effects to misuse by the doctor.
Nonetheless, these are common contraindications to ozone therapy:
- Blood clotting issues
How is it done?
Ozone therapy is extremely versatile in the ways it can be safely applied. Most of the scientifically based protocols for ozone therapy (such as the Madrid Declaration) allow for differences in how much ozone is applied and how much blood is drawn. So you may have doctors administer the treatment differently based on what they feel is best for you.
Treatments in the clinic:
- Major Autohemotherapy (MaH) - This is the most common version of ozone therapy and usually involves the withdrawal of 60 - 300CCs of blood. Ozone gas is then infused into the blood outside of the body and readministered into the vein.
- 10Pass - 10Pass is a newer version of ozone therapy that uses a high dose of ozone. Blood is withdrawn, mixed with ozone, and readministered into the vein. This process is done ten times, hence the name. This therapy costs around $1,200 per treatment and takes up to two hours. Many people do not have strong enough veins to do all ten passes. I am personally not under the persuasion that more is always better.
- HiDose - HiDose is half the dose and cost of 10Pass but is the same general concept. However, blood is withdrawn and readministered one time instead of ten. It is still a much higher dose than the standard protocol, Major Autohemotherapy.
Treatments at home:
These treatments are sometimes administered at the clinic, but it is usually much cheaper and easier for people to do them at home. They take about 3 - 5 minutes, can be done on a daily basis, and the entire set up cost around $1,000.
- Rectal insufflation - This treatment is said to be up to 95% as effective as the blood treatments by a top scientist, Dr. Sylvia Menendez. This may not be entirely accurate, but rectal insufflation can be done on a daily basis at a very low cost per treatment, making it highly valuable.
- Ear insufflation - (only if there is a head indication) - This is usually only administered if there is an issue in the ear, nose, or throat. Some anecdotal evidence suggests it may be useful for brain and inner ear issues as well
- Drinking ozone water - (anecdotally helps digestive issues) - Although not scientifically studied yet, many people drink ozone water for digestive issues.
So why should a cancer patient use ozone?
For general health and quality of life. It improves some of the foundational aspects of the body which can spur the patient to better health.
To get started with ozone therapy:
- Ask a doctor or clinic familiar with ozone therapy. They will be able to provide you with medical advice and talk further about ozone therapy.
- Get treatments at the clinic ($200 - $1,000) or at home (around $1,000 for a set up)
We recommend speaking with a doctor. You can find a list of ozone doctors here: map.drsozone.com.
If you want to get started with ozone therapy at home, you can access the guide to getting started by clicking here.
Ozone therapy balances the immune system, increases energy, reduces pain, and improves quality of life, which directly ties into a holistic treatment methodology and is a safe adjunctive to most cancer treatments.